It seems more real now than it was a few months ago.
Today when I got home from work I was listening to the answering machine. I had to delete a few messages of myself before getting to the one I'd like to inform you all about.
Nathanael recruiter left a message informing us that Nathanael will ship out January 13th for basic training. I, as a mommy, had many emotions pass through very quickly. The most profound thought was that I have a few decisions to make...ie...when to stop working, where to take the kids, and how to be a single parent mom for 2-3ish months. I know I'm capable of such things, I just want to make sure I make the right decision. My current plan is to be a nomad for the 2-3ish months. Leave the house we have here in TN and visit family in Nashville, Ohio, and SC. Since I'm not sure where we will end up, I have no idea when we will be able to visit again, so I thought it would be nice to have some time together before we are off into the unknown.
I'm going to need lots of prayer between now and then...and well, during that time also. If I do go with plan A (nomad), the kids and I will technically be homeless, meaning we won't have a place to call our own, we won't have our own things, and we will basically be living out of a suitcase the whole time. I don't want to fall into the trap of spoiling the kids because they don't have their toys, but I also don't want them to go crazy because their entire world has been flipped upside down either (not that those two things are opposites). However there are many positives to plan A... Visiting family is very important to me, and I'm sure family would like to see us as well, or atleast the children! :)
And don't think that I have forgotten about Nathanael. He needs prayer too. I'm glad that I will have the support of family and friends during this time. Nathanael will be going through tough things mentally, physically and emotionally. He will need all of us more than ever. I will be sure to pass out any info possible for those who would want to write him a letter to help keep his spirits high.
Well, thanks for reading, and I'll let you know more when I know more.
white throw blanket
4 years ago

4 comments:
I am excited for you guys. We can talk more tonight.
By the way... it's speechless.
We fill a milk crate with toys & books. Small enough to throw in the car, but just enough of "home" that we don't feel pressured into spoiling--but a few treats are OK!
I wish I had an easy answer to the nomad feeling--I'm still recovering from our moves this year and feeling nomadic. Unless you really, really need to remain in your own habitat (which I tend toward), I think that being with your family would be a good support for you, and the traveling will make the time go much faster.
Either way, it's an uprooting and it'll be hardest on you. The kids'll feel it, but they're resilient that way. Nate will feel it, but he'll have his training & job to concentrate on. Hope he's already starting his running, situps, & pushups!
That's my 2 cents...feel free to email and I'll regale you with more tales of military spouse-ness.
wow - I'm sure that having an official date made it sink in a lot more. We are/will be praying for you. And I'm sure we'll be seeing you, too. :)
We are here for whatever you need...
Post a Comment