Monday, March 23, 2009

Grab the popcorn, I have a story to tell.

A little background information.

I have been in contact with a management company (since March 18th) about a little cottage that I was looking into renting here in the Biloxi area. Before arriving to MS I had already signed an application, faxed in my proof of income, and been approved to rent the cottage All that was left was signing the lease and getting the keys.

I drove down to MS on Friday March 20th and after finding out that I would be arriving in town after the rental place closed their office, I started trying to make arrangements for the key to be picked up before they closed, and then I could finish up the paperwork on Monday when the office reopened. I was a little upset that they wouldn't take my CC# over the phone and allow someone to pick the key up which meant that I would have to find somewhere for the kids and I to live for the weekend. Oh but who knew that God was in control and there was a good reason for this minor setback? I wasn't thinking about it at the time when I was frustrated, but I can see it now.

Over the weekend I did a little more research on places in the area to rent. Nathanael and I found a 2br 1bath apartment fully furnished for the same price as the cottage, however all expenses were covered, and wireless internet and cable TV were included. It seemed a little too good to be true, but I called the number and left a message. A few moments later a man called me back and I explained our situation, and he was more than willing to work with us. He was currently out of town, but could meet with me on Monday to show me the apartment.

Now we come to today...(Monday).

I called the management company about the cottage and inquired about getting an appointment to view it. They told me that all I need to do was come to the office and they would issue me a key. So...I drove 15 minutes to the office (with the kids), I guess it isn't normal to "show" the property to possible renters, because they basically handed me the key and I was on my own...The girl at the desk made a copy of my drivers license and wanted to hold on to my credit card (but they wouldn't run it). I then got into the car and drove 15 minutes to the cottage (with the kids) (and no one representing the house) I unloaded the kids and proceeded to open the gate...but it wouldn't open. I tried for a few minutes, pushing and pulling, lifting up and pushing down, but the latch wouldn't budge. I called the management company and explain my dilemma to them the girl on the phone told me that no one has ever had a problem getting in or out. When I asked "Well then can you tell me how to do it?" The answer I was given was "I've never been to the property, let me see if anyone else can help you." Of course she puts a man on the phone and he proceeds to talk to me as if I'm just a dumb girl that doesn't understand anything and says "all you need to do is..." I tried to explain to him that I understood what he was saying, but that the latch wasn't moving, and he wasn't describing the latch that I was looking at, and then it came out that this man hadn't been to the property either! He then asks me to take pictures with my cell phone and come back to the office...(I'M NOT JOKING!) At this point I'm a little upset. I did it though, I took the pictures and drove 15 minutes back to the office (with the kids) and now I've just wasted 45min of my day.

Now we are at the office for the second time...The girl (who originally helped me get the keys, and who answered the phone knowing that I couldn't get the gate open) asks me what I thought of the place as she hands me my credit card. I'm sure my answer came out a little rude...but I said, "I couldn't get in the gate!" and she looks at me with a shocked expression and apologizes. She goes to get the manager and as he is walking down the hallway from his office he rudely approaches me with a "Hey." which I purposely ignored and pretended I didn't know he was addressing me. Then as he is closer to me he states that no one has ever had a problem with the latch, and the proceeds to explain to me how to do it. He rolls his eyes as I inform him that the latch wasn't moving as he said it should. He then huffs and says that he could drive out to the property and open the gate.

At this point I really didn't care if I got the chance to view the cottage, but I told him that I would appreciate it if he would drive out there, because I could tell by his attitude, that I was putting a kink in his plans. He leaves me standing at the counter as he goes back to his office. About 3 minutes later I noticed out of the corner of my eye that he passed by the hallway in the back of the office building. I then notice the sunlight reflect off the back wall, and then disappear. I questioned to the man at the counter, "Was that the manager who just left the building?" Yes it was, and all the man behind the counter had to say to me was, "He drives the big white truck, and he drives like he wind blows." I kid you not when I got out to the car, he was already pulling out of the parking lot, and had never told me that he was even leaving the office.

We get to to cottage, (now I've driven a total of 1hour, with the kids, to view this place) and I told him that I wasn't going back to the office again, and that he would have to wait for me to view the cottage and take the keys back with him. He goes to the gate and guess what...he can't get it open. Oh but of course there was a good reason, it was locked from the inside, and he says that the previous renter must have left it that way for his dog.

HOLD THE PHONE....
They hadn't checked the gate to even see if it was open since the previous renter left? You've got to be kidding me!

To make this long story as short as possible....I go inside the cottage and it looks nothing like the pictures.

The desk with the office chair that was pictures in the living room doesn't exist and the couch that was in there wasn't the same on that was in the picture, and it was literally falling apart, no end table with lamp, no pictures on the walls, no blinds on the windows, and no rug no the floor. In the pictures, both bedrooms had a full size bed with sheets and comforter, a desk and a lamp. When I went in the first room, there was a full size bed, but it only had one sheet, and there were 4 dusty pictures from the wall laying on top of the sheet....no light in the room. The second room only had a twin size bed, and no bedding. The man said that he THOUGHT they might be able to get me some bed linen.

Lets just say I'm thankful I wasn't able to get the keys on Friday. I would have never guessed this cottage wasn't ready to move into when the description states "in excellent condition. Renovated in 2006, it offers the charm of yesteryear with the conveniences of today. It features 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, approximately 1000sf and has hardwood floors and ceramic tile in the wet areas. Fully furnished and has a screened porch, a rear deck, and a fenced yard. " and the girl that I was in correspondence with since the 18th knew that I was needing something that I could move into with just the stuff packed in my car.

I signed the papers today on this place....



The pictures aren't 100% accurate, but the decor is the same style. There is a pool and a washer and dryer facility on site. All utilities are included in the rent and that includes the wireless internet, and the cable TV...for the same price as just the rent of the cottage (utilities weren't included there) The only down side to the apartment that we will be living in, is that it is 20 min from base instead of the 2 minute convenience that the cottage had, but I think the kids and I will be much happier here...

The End.

4 comments:

Skerrib said...

Dude, that's a fantastic story!! We had a housing thing happen last summer, where we thought we were up a creek but ended up in a much better place than originally planned. God's cool that way.

If you haven't already, you might want to get in touch with the housing office on base and tell them your experiences. They use such info to steer people to the good places.

Cora Lynn said...

oh Emily how horrible and amazing at the same time. Well, maybe more so one and then the other. I'm so glad it all worked out in the end.

sosays she said...

Blessings come in all sorts of disguises! I'm so happy you and your family have a nice, clean, safe place to live now! God knows what we deserve, He clearly wasn't about to let you settle for something 'less-than'!

iarenashviller said...

WOW - I was just now able to read this and I am SO thankful that the cottage didn't work out!!! Thank God for protecting you from that horrible situation - He knew what He wanted you to have. I think that you had a tremendous amount of faith going down there like you did with the kids, even though it was so overwhelming, and it's awesome to see that God honored that!